Saturday, February 23, 2013

My First Fairy Garden Doors

I was so impressed with how great popsicle stick fairy doors look, I had to try it myself. What I didn’t know is that they’re quick easy projects you can do with your kids. Very satisfying without a ton of effort.

Fairy Garden Tools

fairydoor-toolsI gathered stuff from around the house… found the old popsicle sticks, raided the sewing tins and junk drawers for buttons, thumbtacks, jewelry. After my first two, a ‘fairy door shoebox’ filled with tools and goodies, was a necessity. I started with Gorilla Wood glue, with hopes that they will hold up to water outdoors and in fairy garden containers. Its rated indoor/outdoor use with Type2 water resistance, but what I like about this glue is that it sets quickly and theres no foam like with regular gorilla glue.

Fairy Garden Door Construction

Its a rather straightforward process. Lay popsicle sticks out to create the design you want. Cut two cross pieces to hold it all together and glue. Pick out cool buttons, charms from old jewelry, moss and glue it on. I used wood stain on some, paint on others and left on bare. Here are the first two.
2 doors

Add some color! I have a thing for red doors. After posting this picture on facebook, I found out so much more about red doors. “Feng shui says that they are good luck.” “In China, it’s tradition to paint the front door red before the new year, to invite good luck and happiness.” “In Catholocism, the red door on a chapel symbolized the blood of christ, and other martyrs, to signify that the ground beyond the door (inside the church) was holy, and a sanctuary from physical and spiritual evils.” “In Ireland, front doors are painted red to ward-off ghosts and evil spirits.” And last but not least, It is just a “pop” of color for a house. I had no idea!
red door

So I kept going, loving every minute of it. Honestly, they go so quick you can do a half dozen of them in no time.

At this point, I had a question. How do you get these things to stand up. Most fairy doors Id seen online were attached to a tree, but I wanted to put them in containers. So I did some searching and I found the most impressive fairy door Ive ever seen. Its elaborate and breathtaking with a ton of detail.
inspiration

I was inspired to say the least! Since we were just working with the hole boring drill bit to build our hoop house cold frame (and i didnt have to go outside in 20 degree weather to get them) It made the most sense to attach the doors to branches, then drill holes the size of the branches in a base. This is what I came up with. I poured a little glue into the holes to get them to stay.
finished fairy doors
3 finished-fairy-doors


My First Fairy Garden Doors

2 comments:

plant nursery hey guys...

I Started a Plant Nursery!

RootsNursery. Where every 1 gallon plant is only $5
Sign up on our Mailing List