Sunday, January 20, 2013

Winter Garden: Cold Hardy Winter Vegetables

Each January and February, through our frigid Chicago winters, my only real plan is to sit by the space heater. Until recently, when I saw a photograph of a snow covered cold frame filled with healthy green vegetables inside. I figured they must be in a more temperate zone and went on with business until I started waking up from dreams of harvesting carrots (this is true). So I began to research winter vegetables to find out just how cold tolerant they are. I figured, with a little ingenuity, it might be possible to grow winter vegetables in our sub zero climate. Vegetable seeds are cheap so I began another experiment.

Here’s the research. This has yet to be tested, but by spring I should know just how far you can go in a zone 5 winter garden.

Winter Garden Vegetables Chart

Cold Hardy Vegetables

Light Frost Tolerant (26-31 degrees)
Plant in garden 2 to 4 weeks BEFORE last frost

Beets
Carrot
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard
Endive
Lettuce
Mustard Greens
Onion
Parsnip
Peas
Potato
Swiss Chard

VERY Cold Hardy Vegetables

Hard Frost Tolerant (26-28 degrees)
Plant in garden 6 weeks BEFORE last frost

Asparagus
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chives
Cilantro
Collards
Garlic
Horseradish
Kale 10
Kohlrabi
Leek
Parsley
Radish
Rutabaga
Sage
Shallot
Spinach
Turnip
Sorrel

I started to experiment with heat retention in the video below. If we can start flats of vegetable seeds indoors in late January and get them out into a cold frame by February, that would really increase my plant production. Not sure its possible just yet, but its totally worth the effort to find out.


Winter Garden: Cold Hardy Winter Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment

plant nursery hey guys...

I Started a Plant Nursery!

RootsNursery. Where every 1 gallon plant is only $5
Sign up on our Mailing List